Monday, August 18, 2003

Schoolnight

Back @ the beach, exhausted from 28 straight hours of traveling.

Marooned somewhere in Ohio, slightly this side of melancholy, Ani Difranco saves the day yet again:

You are also a stiff drink, and I am on call.
You are a party, and I am a schoolnight;
I'm lookin' for my door key, but you are my porch light

You'll never know dear, just how much I love you;
You'll prob'ly think this was just my big excuse,
But I stand committed to a love that came before you
And the fact that I adore you is just one of my truths...

What kind of scale compares the weight of two beauties,
The gravity of duties, the groundspeed of joy?
Tell me what kind of gauge can quantify elation,
What kind of equation could I possibly employ?

...and I don't expect to have much sympathy for my grieving
But I guess that this is the price that we pay
For the privelege of living for even a day
In a world with so many things worth believing in.


but I still don't know which side of the lyrics I'm on this time. Maybe I'll figure it out eventually.

No comments: