Thursday, October 28, 2004

On Duty

I [heart] computer lab days.

Crawled in to work this morning after falling asleep this morning after I got dressed, opened the door seconds before the last bell rang, my head still pounding and feeling a little woozy. I think there's a virus going around school.

Dragged my ass to the office after first period and asked for a substitute, only to be told that there were no substitutes available. Oh, MDC-PS, how we love your efficiency. This is merely one of the myriad disappointments in the past week that make me count down the days till vacation, cross off boxes on a calendar, and wonder what the hell my purpose is here.

Apathy runs rampant in high school, and Miami seems to breed it like mosquito larvae. "If you don't complete the quiz, I can't give you a grade." "If you don't hand in the homework, you get a zero." As with pre-mayan mathematics, the concept of zero seems to be missing from these children's mental capacity. They think only in letters: A B C D F. Sigh.

I hated it in high school, and I hate it now: I truly do not understand a lot of my students, and at the moment I'm of a mind to think that this is hindering my teaching abilities. It's been a long week, and my time in the computer lab is almost over, so I've got to wrap this up.

I guess I'll be back 6th period.

No comments: