Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Youthful Enthusiasm

So I processed my first rolls of film today all by myself, and only ended up burning one picture out of 48. I was pretty psyched about that, and it made me want to get back into the darkroom so I could make a contact sheet and see how the pictures really turned out, but unfortunately I had class. College campuses in the early fall are such beautiful places, full of all sorts of idealism and fresh attitudes that I wish I had a little bit more time to appreciate at the moment. Although I am currently trapped inside on this idyllic September afternoon, in the unique-smelling athletic department student workers' office, at least I'm making money, right? You know I missed stuffing envelopes and addressing recruit letters to unwitting high school girls, seducing them to Haverford's soccer team while getting the news of the world via NPR's All Things Considered and Fresh Air.

I'd just like to state for the record that Henry Kissinger was an awful, awful man, and that US foreign policy in the 1970's was f-ed up. I forgot that the CIA helped Pinochet overthrow Chile's *democratically* elected gov't in '73. Makes you proud to be an American, eh?

Time is flying by, and before I know it I'll be a legal adult, fellowships will be due, and classes will start to hold me accountable for the work that I'm already behind on. For the time being, I'm going to be a 'photographer' and enjoy the last wisps of summer that are lingering here on the Eastern seaboard.

No comments: